Thursday 10 December 2009

The End

(BA from the water)
With all the excitement, jet lag and uni that's going on in these parts I haven't finished telling you about our trip to Argentina, oh, and Uruguay.  Did I tell you we went to Uruguay too?
(Madres de Plaza de Mayo with the names of their children who disappeared embroidered on their scarves)
(Reflections-my boy loves reflections-at Porto Madero)
(A church that Andrew noticed was all lit up when we were wandering home one day)
Andrew had the first 4 days to explore with me.  We packed it in, traipsing all about the city and heading to Uruguay for a day.  We visited Eva Peron's tomb (remember when we went and saw Evita at the drive-ins and Mum was the only one who didn't fall asleep?!) in the craziest cemetery ever.  We visited the world's second coolest bookstore in an old theatre and read and drank and waited out the rain (apparently the coolest bookstore is in Maastricht, Netherlands, I see a trip in our future).  
(Never too old to dance, ever)
(Recoleta cemetery, absolutely bonkers, it's like a little village)
(Evita's tomb, she was quite a woman)
We visited artisan markets and the most incredible antique market in San Telmo, smiled at children with pigeons, and watched quietly as the Madres de Plaza de Mayo walked silently around the square remembering and advocating for their children who disappeared during the military dictatorship.  
(El Ateneo, beautiful, beautiful bookshop)
(Guess who's husband is an engineer and a fabulous photographer? Fuse box in the El Ateneo bookshop)
(Lights, ah, pretty sparkly lights on the world's widest avenue, 9 de Julio)
We watched tango in the streets and sat on the sidelines of an old ballroom as elderly couples elegantly moved to the dances of their youth.  We visited the sights, admired the art, and ate the food.  We took the boat to Uruguay on Sunday and wandered around Colonia in the rain, feasted in cafe's and took windswept photos on the jetty.
(Passionfruit flower sculpture, Porto Madero)(San Telmo antique market, woh)
(Way more dessert than anyone could eat, dulche de leche tart and lemon meringue at Las Violetas after a ride on the old wooden subway car)
It was an incredible trip and a beautiful place to visit.  Buenos Aires isn't a modern, shiny city but a city with a sad and elegant past which can be seen in the people and the buildings that line the streets.  It's a mixture of so many things, so many people, so many cultures, so many influences.  A wonderful place with lovely, warm inhabitants.
(Windswept, Uruguay)
(The Street of Sights in Colonia, it has an old Portuguese drain running down the middle)
(Church, Colonia, Uruguay)
PS I don't have any other pictures of when I was wandering about the city (or when I was lounging by the pool!) as my bag was stolen the last night we were there and our little camera was in it (not just pick-pocketed this time Linny, they got the whole thing).  Hence the trip to the police station.  We were eating in a restaurant and someone took my bag from under the table.  Sneaky.  We think they had a hook, or ridiculously long arms.  This is the 3rd time I've had something stolen, I'm thinking it should be the last as things come in threes right?

All photos taken by the boy.  He's good huh?

2 comments:

Triniti the Luddite said...

This is amazing. The bookstore...oh my goodness...everything...looks....amazing...I am so jealous...so envious...so thankful to you for sharing.
How very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Boo hiss to crooks with long arms! I LOVED the elderly ballroom dancers- I want to dance till I die. The book shop was nuts and from all the stories and photos I will have to add BA to my trip planner! Kt x