Tuesday 21 June 2011

It's Always More Fun to Share with Everyone

Or the story of how this:
became this:I love freecycle. I've given, I've received and I've wished I had received! I generally try to give a little thank you in exchange for whatever goodies the person is giving me so last week Little Langy G and I jumped in the car with a bag of homegrown lemons and herbs and headed off on an adventure to pick up some sourdough starter.

I've wanted to try making sourdough for ages but the whole starting and growing and feeding a starter just sounded plain old scary so when a lady on freecycle offered some starter I was in! The starter is from the first sourdough bakery that was started in Melbourne and it's about 40 years old. Starters change and evolve depending on what you feed them and where they are (they pick up wild yeast from the air so sourdough tastes different all over the world) so my bread probably won't taste like the Melbourne bread.

I love that the bread I now bake has a history, different people would have cared for and loved this starter over the years so there's a little bit of all their stories included in my dough. Now it's my turn to add to the mix.

4 comments:

Rohan said...

WOW! That looks amazing - i could almost eat the pictures...I love that Langlan will love to cook and do all the fun stuff his amazing parents do.
You are creating history as well as being part of it every single day.Thanks for making MY day by posting something in yours xx
love you Cal xx

Triniti the Luddite said...

so do you share with sisters in newcastle who may be very excited about sour dough starter and all?

Kt Mac said...

I had no idea what the crumpet you were on about!!! Then Mummsy told me and I was all moist eyed as my little ticker is very sentimental and it loved the fact that you have a little piece of geelong melbourne that will nuture and grow with you forever if you so chose it. Such a strange and wonderful thing. xxx

Linny said...

Nice looking bread...but what's with your bed-head?!?