Friday 31 July 2009

Today I Ironed my Clothes

Today I ironed my clothes. I often don't.
Today I remembered to deodorise. I sometimes don't.
Today I even brushed and blow dried my hair. I almost never do.
Because today was a special day.
Today I was showing respect.
Today I was sending my condolences.
Today I was saying goodbye.

I first met Dan when he was a bubbly, full-of-beans, energetic and sometimes naughty five year old. He was one of my boys in my first ever Kinder class. I don't think anybody learnt much in that year-I wasn't a great teacher, but we sure had fun.
I remember Dan loved computers. He loved building with construction blocks. He learnt his flashcard words quickly (great parents obviously). I remember he was always very sorry when he did something wrong, but would do it again when he had forgotten! Most of the time though he was good.
He probably did call me Miss Smack - I don't remember.
He probably did call me Mrs Porridge after we got married - I don't recall.
Was he worried when I was taken away by the helicopter?
Did he enjoy Maths?
Did he have a correct pencil grip?
I don't remember a lot of things - but I know this. I know that he was loved. He was loved by his family - abundantly. He was loved by his friends. He was loved by his God.
Dan is in heaven now. He is not hurting. He is not suffering. He is gone - but I will remember him.
That's why today I ironed my clothes.

4 comments:

Calli Strawberry Jam said...

Trinny, that is beautiful.

It must be so hard to have a kid you've taught die. That's just how things shouldn't go.

I love you so much.

Kt Mac said...

I agree to all of the above. Death robbes us of gems and treasures that seems so unfair and random.

This is so beautifully out. Maybe you should share it with his family I know I would be bleesed by it if I was his Mummy. XXX

Linny said...

Poor you Trinny...not nice to experience... But at least we can all thank Dan that for one day you had nice looking ironed clothes!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Trinity, that is beautiful.

I do remember how much fun he had in your class that year. It was a crazy teaching year for you with all the "Lion, Witch, Wardrobe" practices/performances & of course - the Wedding!

2 days ago (21st) it was exactly 3 months since Daniel passed. We still miss him to bits, at times I wonder if we'll ever get over it. 15 years old - still full of beans & still one of Gods great kids.

On the 21st I sat & watched his Funeral DVD in full for the first time since it happened. He INSPIRES me & his legacy is such that he will continue to inspire Ruth & I (& probably MANY!) for the rest of our time here till we meet again in Heaven & boy i'm saving up a HUGE hug for my little man! (Well not so little as he just reached 6ft tall & was wearing Sz12 shoes!)

20 trekkers from CampQuality will be walking Mt Kilimanjaro in his honour in August2010 - he has already inspired many people.

Ruth & I are hoping to join them in the climb so will probably need plenty of prayer for TEAMNEVs already aching bones & muscles!

Thanks again for your kind words.
Pete Neville
(Dans Dad)

ps. Anyone wishing to track what TEAMNEV are doing can follow us on Dans Twitter page

http://twitter.com/DanTheManAUS