Tuesday 27 January 2009

About Life


I've gone from Newcastle to Amsterdam.  From 39 degrees celsius to 1 degree celsius.  From swimming pools and kangaroos to canals and bikes.  From a full house to just me and Andrew.  It's crazy how things can change over the space of 24 hours.

I'm enjoying being back here, Andrew called me an optimist the other day.  It's dark until after 8am, it's c-c-cold, nothing is easy, we have a ridiculously small oven, I don't speak Dutch and all my family is on the other side of the world.  But there are patches of silver shining through my clouds.  I'm back with my sewing machine which I've already put to good use (more on that another time).  I get to cycle everywhere.  I found a very cool tin on the side of the street on the way back from shopping yesterday.  It only takes 20 minutes to get home from the airport.  We have tulips in a big vase on our table.  Warm stews and soups hit the spot for dinner.  The brie here is amazingly cheap and amazingly good, especially when eaten with homemade berry jam.  We can pop to Germany for the day (Andrew has a meeting there tomorrow and if he's driving I'll tag along for the ride).  We can go to Cousin Rachel's wedding in London on Saturday.  I can walk from my house to the main shopping area in a few minutes (which I'll be doing soon, have to finish off the wedding outfit).  So, really, it's not so bad after all, eh?

But I do miss my Australia and all my little Australians.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Australians miss you too...xx

Kt Mac said...

Silver is the best colour for lining clouds! Your the best Calli Mac-Amsterdamian! xxx