Thursday 11 June 2009

Goodbye

Last night Andrew and I said goodbye to our little poppy seed.  We wandered down to a favourite spot by the canal that runs in front of our house, scattered some flowers on the water, and wept.  Andrew read this poem by Jane Tyson Clement:
Into the dark which is not dark
but only the light we cannot see,
reluctantly I let you go.
What was your source - children of years?
Surely I cannot claim your birth;
for when I found you, even then
you were not strangers to the earth.
I was privileged, to disclose
briefly, a portion of your days.
Now you are free - but not complete;
for none of us is this the end.
Somewhere the valley holds the mist,
the four fields shimmer in the haze,
the man of patience and the child
and the sea-eyed girl draw deep their breath
and live, and have no fear of death.
I wish you guys had been there.  Our little poppy seed's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.  But you weren't, so we said goodbye for you, joined by two guys behind us getting high on pot, and canal boats filled with tourists lumbering past...an Amsterdam goodbye for our Amsterdam baby.

4 comments:

Kt Mac said...

I am so night shift hung over I can't cry. Goodbye Poppy, I love you. Andy-perfect words and beautiful little send off to your little boy. Cal-Flowers of beauty and colour to tell your little boy how much he coloured your life even in those short weeks. I love you both so much. Huge big hugs and tears and laughs. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Triniti the Luddite said...

Goodbye bubby. We love you.
From Aunti Trin, Uncle Pobj, Cousin Connor and Cousin Kenzi

Jono said...

Calli and Andrew, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I cried for him too. May God be your refuge.
love, jono

Ashleigh said...

hey calli nd andrew,
sorry to hear about ur loss, U are in our thoughts nd prayers!!

luv ash nd alex
xoxoxoxo