Wednesday 23 September 2009

Herman

Today I met a man.  He was sitting on these steps smoking and drinking wine.  He offered me a drink, if it wasn’t too early in the day for me.  He didn’t mind that I would have to drink out of the same bottle as him.  He didn’t mind that he had to move from the steps so I could join him on the deck.  He didn’t mind interrupting my study every few minutes for a chat.  He did mind if I upset the sickly pigeon he was carefully tending.  All he wanted was a small piece of bread for his feathered patient.  All I had was cashews.  Too big, he said.  And my name didn’t suit me, not pretty, not like Ilena.  Ilena, that’s what he would call me.  He had trouble remembering names, he’d had 3 strokes, but he could remember Ilena.  And he’d fallen a little bit in love with me, but that wasn’t my fault, he said as he kissed my hand and walked away.

3 comments:

MacD said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwe Please give up law and become a writer i want to always read little beautiful antidotes like these! So SO sute. I have one too but am off to sand undercoat and paint my car- Orange in respect for Holland!!!

Linny said...

Herman...now there's a name to put on our top ten list for boys names!!!!! And I think Kt Mac means Cute!!! But Sute does suit Kt if you know what I mean!! Orange car Kt?!? Can't wait for the pics!

Triniti the Luddite said...

what a lovely story. its nice to be fallen a little bit in love with. you go girl.