Tuesday 22 September 2009

The Process

I don't make cupcakes.  Except for when I was a kid in the kitchen with mum.  There's good reasons too.  I can only bake 8 at a time.  Which means making 1/4 of the batter.  And that means getting my math brain on.  Not always a good idea.  
Then there's the fact that I live in The Netherlands.  The Dutch aren't known for their extravagance.  And that equates to only being able to buy red food colouring at the Chinese supermarket and very few other cake decoration type thingies.  So telling our friends we'd help out at the wedding, and then agreeing to make cupcakes meant big steps for me.  Or small ones, as I waited for the oven to finish making the 6th batch of 8 cupcakes.
There were lots of trial runs.  And lots of cupcakes thrown from our window into the canal.  There were moments of frustration, as Andrew and I sat separating hundreds and thousands.  No, really we did.  Until I realised how RIDICULOUS that was and dyed them with food colouring.  Then there were icing practices.  I'd decided on a design, and then changed it the morning of the wedding.  Thankfully it changed from the poo-inspired design to something a little more palatable and more true to the magazine picture that was requested.
In the end, I didn't make the exact cakes that were requested (Red, how hard is it to make red icing?  Hard.), but considering the issues I had going on (and only a few of them had to do with the cupcakes-can't you see my bedhead above?) it went pretty well.  And the bride and groom loved them.  Phew.   Oh, and Joshua.  But what food doesn't he like?!

2 comments:

MacD said...

Yes I did note the bed head!!! Thye looked great, Glad Joshua liked them!!!! Well done Cal and Andy- You guys were demented seperating hundres and thousands!!!

Linny said...

Glad you changed from the 'poop' design! Don't think i could of eaten one looking like that without laughing!!!