Monday 3 August 2009

Artsy-Fartsy

I feel that taking my time over posting our holiday pics really means that I'm not back in the swing of uni work/cleaning the toilet/grocery shopping etc.  I think I can stretch it for at least another week.  Although I'm not sure the toilet can last that long.

This is the artsy post.  The one in which random photos of lines and shapes and out-of-focus things appear.  I took exactly zilch of these photos.  All the glory goes to the boy. He has an eye for it, I tell ya.

And now, onto the photos, in no particular order (although I just realised that I think they may be in backwards order).
The solitary figure, beside a church, on a cliff.  Andrew had stopped to take photos so I wandered up the road, what I hadn't realised was that he was taking photos of me.  Sneaky.
The roofs of Porto.  And the house in the background?  It's covered in tiles, as many houses are in Portugal.  I guess it makes for easy cleaning...or something...
This is the Mr Eiffel's bridge, it connects Porto to Vila Nova de Gaia across the river and was designed by the same guy who designed the Eiffel Tower.  It was a beautiful bridge, soaring and arching from far away, intricate and mecano-like from close up.  And it was such a contrast to the crumbling and peeling buildings where it started in Porto to the old cellars on the other side of the river.
We were driving towards Porto when Andrew came to a screaming holt.  It was photo opportunity time.  I really liked this close up of rusty old nails that he took.  There was a crumbling old boat on it's side by the water, I guess these are from that.
This is Joan the Mad's hand.  She was Queen of Spain until she married and then she had to go thirdsies with her husband and her husband's dad.  Once her husband popped his clogs she was declared unfit to rule (dastardly and scheming father-in-law, hmph).  She roamed about the country with her dead husband's body and ended up in Tordesillas.  Sad, mad, great photo opportunities.
A cross, outside the palace/convent where Joan the Mad lived.
Sunflowers, everywhere sunflowers.  It was so cool driving through fields of sunflowers.
The Guggenheim in Bilbao.  Arrooooooga!  I've been here before, but I loved it just as much, or even more (something to do with the company) this time.  It's an incredible, incredible building.  And the art installations were amazing.  We couldn't take photos inside (although A sneaked a few) otherwise I'm sure there would have been a few more in the Artsy-Fartsy series!
San Sebastian.  Great city.  Great clouds.  Great salt water (for swimming, aaah).
San Sebastian.  Great public toilets.  Andrew loved these.  This is only one of the many pics he took of them.  And only one of the many times he 'had' to use them.
Rent-an-umbrella in Biarritz.  We didn't.  They didn't match our towels.  Or our eye colour.
Biarritz. Stairs.  Cool lines.
Us.  In Biarritz.  In a mirror.
This was the plum tree above our tent that we stole plums from in France.  I love the colouring, such pale blue and such vibrant red.

And that's it...until the next lot.  Hope you're still enjoying the ride.

3 comments:

Fluor said...

Hey girl, LOVE the picture of you next to the curch! And by the way: could you give me the recipe of the goatcheese tart? Sounds so good!
(And how was dinner at Floor and Daves ;-)

Fl.

Kt Mac said...

Andrew- your eyes and vision is a gift from God and every time I see your pictures my soul is touched, heart is warmed and senses stired. yes that's exactly what your pictures do to me. I got all misty ion the eye looking at them. They all tell a little bit more of you and your journey and of Cal and your journey and this trip. I love them and I love the little drips of info Cal adds. Perfect like the Andy-Cal combo xxx

Triniti the Luddite said...

Beautiful.