Tuesday 30 September 2008

Snippets

Finally the computer, internet and camera have all come together at the same point.  Technology just isn't my forte sometimes, over the weekend I managed to kill our internet so I had to make up parts of my assignment and Andrew had to rush to work to upload it to the uni website in time.  And all this was meant to make life easier?  Hmph.
Anyways, I'm back.  With a few snippets of England to begin with.  It was so nice to get away with no lugging of textbooks (mine that is, Andrew had to take some large and cumbersome reading with him to brush up for his Certified Engineer interview).  We hit all the good old spots in London and it was soooo good to be back.  Portobello Road is a must visit when Andrew and I are in town.  We spent aaaages there this time.  It's just too good not to spend hours rambling along, musing over the goods and not-so-goods.  Trinny, I wish we'd been able to make it there when we were in London the first time.  Maybe we can all go there when everyone is retired and spending their kids inheritance!!
I kept a lookout for Kati's Titanic Bell.  The first time we visited the market (way back in 2001, can you believe it?!) Kati was oggling this bell that had 'Titanic' inscribed on it.  She was all 'Calli, look, it's the bell from the Titanic!'  I hated to do it, but I just had to point out the many other stalls that had 'Titanic bells' for sale, who knew that a ship could have so many bells that remained perfectly shined after sinking?!
There's a new pie shop along the way too.  It just looked so tempting.  Unfortunately we resisted the temptation but check out the website, ain't it a barrel of cute?
I've set out to try my hand at TtV, Through the Viewfinder.  It's pretty much digital photography through the lense of an old camera.  We tried various cameras but they were pretty pricey.  We ended up with one that isn't quite what we were looking for, but we're hoping with a little manipulation we'll have some fun photos.  And it'll be good for getting shots of Whopp-a-titee at Christmas, you point the digital camera towards the ground so no one knows you're photo stealing.
We didn't make it any further south in London than Oxford Street (Oh my, how C.R.A.Z.Y. is the Primark flagship store?) so not really back to any of my old stomping grounds.  But it was so good to go back, to hear English being spoken, to eat salt and vinegar chips, to take the tube and to just wander around London streets again.

2 comments:

Triniti the Luddite said...

I am totally wanting to do a sisters holiday sometime when we all have disposable income and our kids are old! I think London would be fun for old ladies and I will never lose my joy of wandering around streets filled with treasures.
I love the idea of your ttv. And the camera is a showpiece no matter what.

Anonymous said...

i wanna come toooooooooooooooooooo :))))))))
london times are just a big big blast