Monday 19 October 2009

Walking on Water

Remember Ben?  He's the creative type and yesterday we went and saw one of the creations he dreamt up.  Waternet, the Amsterdam water authority, hired Ben's company to create an event to promote them.  Ben came up with the idea of having something at the Amsterdam Marathon, and he thought about people walking on water.  Unfortunately we forgot out camera so we have no photos of the event, but it was essentially a shallow pool set up in front of the Olympic Stadium with a lane rope down the middle.  We got inside a deflated ball and then it was filled with air.  They pushed us into the pool and we had to get to the other end by running/crawling/flinging ourselves about in the ball.  Andrew and I (the only people over 13 in the line) had a go and it was SO much fun.  My only problem was that I couldn't get the ball to move anywhere!  Andrew had made it to the end of the pool and was half way back when he looked and realised that I was still rolling about in the same position.  Eventually I did make it to the end, but I was laughing so hard by then I think it was more by chance than my efforts to make the ball move.  If you ever get the chance to do this, you HAVE to give it a try, my abs are still aching from laughing so hard.

5 comments:

Triniti the Luddite said...

That looks so fun. YOu would have looked like a hamster in a ball thing!
What an amazing claim to fame as well. YOu know the guy who invented it....it will surely go global and you can bask in his famous radiance.
Once again a little glimpse into your world has been totaly awesome. Thank you.

Kt Mac said...

so so so cool Cal but you had my comments in real voice time this time!! I am SO buying one of these for Scots head. Can you imagine@!!!! xxx

Linny said...

They have those big balls here in nz. Up in the north island somewhere and they fill them with you! And water! And then they roll you down a massive hill!! Dave Weedon was gutted they didn't have them in Queenstown as he wanted to go in one!! On the water is a good idea too! Maybe I should start it up in Wanaka! It would be a good money maker I reckon! Imagine scooting around the lake in one of those!

Linny said...

They have those big balls here in nz. Up in the north island somewhere and they fill them with you! And water! And then they roll you down a massive hill!! Dave Weedon was gutted they didn't have them in Queenstown as he wanted to go in one!! On the water is a good idea too! Maybe I should start it up in Wanaka! It would be a good money maker I reckon! Imagine scooting around the lake in one of those!

Linny said...

Bizarre - the computer wouldn't let me post my comment...it kept making me type those silly code things...then published my comment twice! I feel like Kt Mac with her 'two comment splurges'!!!