Monday 3 March 2008

Bright, Shiny, Happy Weekends

It's Sunday night and Andrew is serenading me on the guitar, singing a song about a yak herder from Nepal.  It's been one of those great weekends filled with bike rides in the rain, mornings spent catching up with family around the world and beautiful coloured juices in the sunshine during lunch with friends.
Last night Andrew and I went for a walk with one aim in mind: to find funky square photos on our block.  I think Andrew's won.  It was a tile in the pavement that said 'In the gutter' in Dutch. I think the picture is a lady in stockings tiptoeing along wearing the top half of a mascot.  I think the mascot is a cross between a hunchbacked dog and a rat.  Or maybe not.  Anyway, I love the quirky Dutchness around here that you can find everywhere, including underfoot.
And breakfast this morning, mmmmm.  We've started a Sunday morning breakfast tradition.  We take turns each Sunday morning to prepare breakfast while the other stays in bed a little longer.  It was my turn this morning, I think the inspirational stroll through the farmer's market yesterday afternoon yielded pretty scrummy results.  Fresh date scones, greek yogurt + strawberry puree + muesli layers, and home made plum jam, orange and lime marmalade (thanks to Andrew's mum) and blackberry jam Andrew made last summer after picking the berries from brambles on Branno, an island off the coast of Gothenburg, Sweden.
Andrew's off to Turkey for work in the morning.  It's been awhile since he's had to travel without me, so I've made a loooong list of things to keep me occupied while he's away.  I should be pretty busy, and the list doesn't even include the masses of uni work I need to do!  Hopefully the week will scream by.

No comments: