Wednesday 5 March 2008

The Left and the Right Hemispheres of the Brain

Studying fuzzies the edges of my brain if I spend too long at it, so over the last few days I've found some fun things to do to use the other side of my brain (I can't remember which side does what, but I'm exercising both!).  It's Andrew's sister's birthday next week, so I've made a little card to send along to her.  Last time she visited we sent her home with lots of fun little packages to open which make up a breakfast for two including maple syrup that we bought in Canada, pannenkoeken (pancake) mix, dried cranberries to go in the pancakes, hot chocolate sachets with the cutest little mugs, and a pannenkoeken pan (a really thin frying pan just for pancakes).  I love presents that make memories.  I made the card by sewing two different samples of wallpaper together, I love that stuff.  And I wrote on a bunch of Post-Its inside, just for fun.  Sorry about the pics (again), I can't get the computer to save the images when I flip them, so you'll need to squint and tilt your head and try really hard to imagine them the right way around.  
I also made this little card holder.  It was meant for a birthday present for a friend but it didn't scream her name at me so I'm investigating other gift options.  So now it's mine, all mine!  It's actually a light blue colour, but again, the computer camera isn't the hottest at picking those things up.  The little flower in the vase is one that Andrew picked for me on our cycle home from church on Sunday.  There's little flowers popping up everywhere in the grass, they make this cold weather so much more bearable because I'm sure they're trying to usher Spring in and banish the cold, sad weather with their cheery little faces.
The kitchen hasn't been neglected in my scurryings either.  I made a huge fancy mac 'n' cheese for friends last night.  Of course I wasn't able to stick to the recipe and added garlic (mmm, we LOVE garlic in this house) and different cheeses and crumbled cheese crackers on the top for extra crunch.  This went along with a big green salad with dressing made with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of seeded mustard and 1 clove of roasted garlic.  I shook it all up in a jar and was left with this amazing yellowy-green dressing.  Yum.  I also made some chocolate apricot balls from a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas to take to our church small group last night.  They thought they were bought, I'm taking that as a compliment!

I have a few other projects up my sleeve for today.  Some fun (the above mentioned present) and some obligatory (mending Andrew's jeans).  Along with a pile of uni work to do, looks like I'll be busy, but gosh my brain is going to be looking fine with all this working out!

No comments: