Monday 31 March 2008

A week's a long time...

I've been missing from these parts recently.  It's not that I haven't had anything to post, it's just that our house has been full and because the computer lives on the dining room table there was no chance to pop anything here.  But I'm back.  With a vengeance!

We had friends and family staying last week.  Andrew's friend Frank with his wife Maryeke from South Africa, and my cousin Brooke, from Australia but currently nannying in Dublin.We all had a great time toodling around the city (rather slowly) on our bikes doing the touristy thing.  Brooke was disappointed that we missed out on the Anne Frank Museum.  The tickets were sold out and Brooke thought it might be because Anne was there.  I hated to point out that Anne died when she was 14 in a Nazi concentration camp.We hit the Kekenhof for a rather chilly morning tiptoe through the tulips.  The flowers were much better than last year but the art in the gardens stole the show for me.  I loved this fireplace.  And this random window in a hedge.Brooke did as all good visitors to Amsterdam do, she bought a bong!  I was killing myself laughing, little innocent Brookey buying a bong.  I think her mother will die if she realises what it is!  Brooke's going to use it as a piece of art, or a vase.Andrew came back from Denmark on Tuesday and he brought me another photo.  This one has a story attached.  There were seagulls outside his office window and they puttered around doing a strange little dance.  They'd thump their feet on the ground in little pitter-patter rhythms and then wait.  After a bit worms would start to appear in the grass and the seagulls would feast on them.  The birds had worked out that their dancing was like the sound of rain on the ground for the worms.  The worms would go to the surface to escape drowning, only to be gobbled up by the clever seagulls.  Cool, huh?
These were also taken by Andrew, 2 different views of the refinery, one snowed in and the other with a burning sky.
Not too much creativity this week, although I did just pop this in the post for Little Niece Emily in New Zealand.  I'm hoping that Emily's mummy will be so kind as to stuff the doll and sew up the bottom.
Lots of good cooking as well.  Roasted peppers/capsicum.  Mmm.  Used in a bruschetta for poker night.
And lastly, a find in a pile of garbage by the road on a ramble back from the fabric market in the rain and my wedding gumboots.  Andrew used to be called Werther's at uni.

Andrew left for Turkey again this morning.  But I'm heading that way on the weekend for a late first wedding anniversary celebration.  It's one year tomorrow, hurrah!

No comments: