Friday 23 May 2008

Number 12 Grow Something...Anything

I started on number 12 last week.  I've joined a group of multicultural ladies who have a plot of land to garden in Westerpark.  It's run by an organisation and every Friday morning we turn up for a lesson on nature and some planting time.  It's all in Dutch so it's a little crazy but things get translated here and there and I'm learning some of the language along the way.
  Last week we planted rode plantui (red onions), lollo rosso, ijsbergsla, butersla (3 types of lettuce), voetbalui (football onions), aardappel (potatoes).  
This week we planted rucola (rocket), eikenbladsla (oakleaf lettuce), dahlia (dahlias), tijm (thyme), knolselderij (some celery thing that translates as turnip-rooted celery??), pompoen (pumpkin), tomaten (tomatoes), rode biet (beetroot), winterwortel (winter carrots-massive big carrots), zomerwortel (summer carrots-normal size carrots).  
My lollo rosso came off with my net today, all shriveled up and dry, apparently we planted them too late in the season as this happened with most of the ladies.  Or maybe it was my warblings, I sang to my plants as it's supposed to help, but maybe you have to be able to sing.  
Oh, and Rebecca isn't peeing, she's just watering her plants.

2 comments:

Kt Mac said...

that sounds brilliant cal. Learning to garden will be handy and learning some dutch even better- If I were around for a dutch Christmas maybe I wouldn't have to eat turkey- I mean Goose- I mean duck!!!! xxx

Triniti the Luddite said...

It must be great to immerse yourself in the culture and learn some great life skills along the way!
Wonderful gardening and what fun.
Love Trin
ps. Kenzi says that the only meat you should eat is Rhino - so none of this turkey, goose or duck.