Monday 19 May 2008

Winding Down

My study-buddy got married yesterday.  
And it's true, brides the world over are glowing and beautiful.  Floor was beaming and Dave was grinning like a goon, it was wonderful.  The service was held in Dutch which was great, instead of listening to what was going on I could take my time to gaze around the church and not feel guilty about not listening.  I think the service was generally the same as most weddings, as far as I could make out anyway.  The photo is Floor's family.  Her little nice, Puk (no idea of spelling!) was the flower girl, she was so cute and Floor's mum had made both Puk's dress and her own (see Mum, handmade mother-of-the-bride outifts are fashionable!).
After the church service we toodled over to the Ij (the big river/canaly thing here in Amsterdam which separates North Amsterdam from the Centre) in all our wedding finery for a reception on the Odessa, a docked boat.  
It was a cool, chilled out affair and I even saw the bride and groom eat (something Andrew and I missed out on at our wedding!).  
The eating included their wedding cake, photos included due to the un-Australian-ness of a Dutch wedding cake.  So, big congrats Dave and Floor! 
Oh, and this is their super cool wedding invite, clever clogs.
And this is a little something that Andrew and I found on our way home from church this morning.  My fabulous husband lugged it home on the front of his bike and up our billion stairs to get it into our house.  It's a Singer 191B, made in Scotland in 1959.  It still runs, but there's a few stitchery problems.  Oh well, I love it in all it's retro-glory.

4 comments:

Triniti the Luddite said...

very cool wedding invite.
love the sewing machine pete will be jealous.
frock on a bike oh my
you looked beautiful.
love trin

Calli Strawberry Jam said...

Hey Trinny,
Thought you might like to check out if the library has these two books:
1. The Creative Family by Amanda Soule (if the library doesn't have it I could send my copy home with mum and get it back at Christmas)
2. The Boss of You by Lauren Bacon and Emira Mears (haven't read this one but it's on my list to get and thought it might be helpful for you, you can read a little review at http://loobylu.com/archives/000841.htm)
xx

Triniti the Luddite said...

ta heaps

Kt Mac said...

machine was on side of road?? WOW score. I know how heavy these babies are!! The one of you doing a little ballet jump in front of the boats adorable!