Tuesday 10 June 2008

Burnt Toast

This is my towering pile of loveliness.  And it caused me to burn my toast.  It all started with me studying.  Or me supposed to be studying.  But then I started thinking about all the bits and pieces I've found on the streets over the past year that we've lived in Amsterdam.  

Because of the smallness of our house some of the best bits have to be left behind.  We would have had a great collection of random wooden chairs by now.  Two beautiful old leather arm chairs, one without its seat cushion.  A lovely wooden dresser.  A newspaper-mache dress form on a carved wooden stand.  But our apartment is furnished so we can't rotate our furniture.  And there's no room to store it for later.  So it gets left behind, hopefully for someone else to take home and love.  

We have friends here who's house is in a continual process of rotation.  They find stuff in the street, bring it home, make it lovely and find a spot in their house.  She used to be a shop designer so she can make any space look amazing.  Last night I suggested that she should open a shop.  She could furnish it like her house but people can buy anything they see, and it would just be a rotating space full of wonderful roadside finds.  

There's a cafe here in Amsterdam where you can buy anything in the cafe: the cups you drink out of, the lights hanging from the ceiling, the rolls of wallpaper stacked in the dresser that is also for sale.  It's totally retro/vintage/cool/great idea.  Haven't been there yet, we always go by when it's closed.  Maybe it will go on my list of 27.  Anyway, all this pondering led me to think about what I have brought home.  A Werther's Original Butterscotch tin, a tin-tin, a wooden box, a wooden wine box with a lid, a small black suitcase, a large some-kind-of-skin suitcase (although I think it may have originally housed a sewing machine as I found it with a bobbin case, thread, needles and other bits of sewing flotsam), and a great big lumpy old tool box.

Seems I have a preference storage kind of things.  Maybe because I have a preference for things and then I need storage kind of things to keep them in. 

Thinking about them made me want to see them all.  So I made a tower of them.  Something to take my mind off my looming exams.  A pile of loveliness and a piece of burnt toast.  Heaven.

1 comment:

Triniti the Luddite said...

I love your boxes.
You know there is always room for boxes inside boxes!
Go the Box!
Box it up!
Need to sleep.
Love Trin