Friday 13 February 2009

The Other Bits

My other kringloop purchases:
Two beautiful glass jars to hold my flax seeds and almonds that I eat in the morning (I've seriously turned into a bird, give me a few nuts and seeds and I'll chirp all day long).
A big, fat green jar to hold my recently made lime cordial.  The label says (faintly) 'Celllulose lijm' which means cellulose glue (don't worry, I washed it real good).  It's cool though, cause 'ij' is pronounced 'y' in Dutch so it reads almost like the cordial that's in there now.  Cool.  And if you want the recipe, here it is (taken from ABC Tasmania's website):
* 6 large limes (or 8 small)
*1.5 kgs (3 lb) sugar
*4 cups boiling water
*1 tablespoon citric or tartaric acid
Finely grate the lime rind, taking care not to include any of the pith. Squeeze the juice from the limes and set aside.

Combine the lime rind, citric or tartaric acid, sugar and boiling water and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Add the reserved lime juice and mix through. Leave to stand until the mixture is cool (or overnight). Strain the mixture through a fine sieve (line the sieve with muslin if desired).

Pour into sterilised bottles and seal.  
I would probably use a little less sugar next time, 1.5 kilos of sugar makes it really sweet!

1 comment:

Triniti the Luddite said...

I haven't op shopped all week and I have missed it. Your purchases are beautiful. I so want to be over there op shopping with you guys. Who needs tacky souvenir shops when you can OP shop!
The cordial looks lovely. Did you get your cheap limes from your little old man?
Love Trin