Saturday 16 August 2008

Bloomin' Marvellous

Gardening season is back in full swing.  Classes are running again and we're getting down and dirty.
Remember this?  In just a few months it's gone from well ordered little plants in a big soil patch to a full grown jungle, aroooooga! 
Jetska (Yetska), a really great Dutch lady who wears the funkiest clothes and has the vegetable patch diagonally opposite mine.
 We got to harvest a few things today, I did mine hurriedly while everyone was heading home.  That's the problem with not understanding what the teacher is saying, you stay with your head stuck under your pumpkin plant intent on weeding like a pro and miss out on the good stuff.  Oh well, next week I'll start stuffing things in my bag right at the beginning.  I forgot to bring home thyme and beans today, but this is what I did score, with a few other un-photographed things like basil and a red onion:
My new found wasting-time passion, rolling balls of wool.  So insanely cool and such a great waste of time.  But doesn't it look pretty?!
And this:
Became this:
MMMMMMM.  It was good.

There's something incredibly amazing about digging a hole, planting a seed, digging up food a few weeks later and taking it home and cooking it.  It somehow tastes better.  I was proud of this meal in a way that I've never felt before.  If I hadn't hoed and weeded and watered and sung, we wouldn't have been eating this for dinner.  I love having my little garden patch.  Not sure what I'll do without it, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

Kt Mac said...

wow, and yer!!

Triniti the Luddite said...

This looks amazing. What did you stuff it with?
The salad looks incredible also.
Wonderful!
Clever you.